Can Apple Watch resemble iconic luxury watches?
This exercise conceptually merges the aesthetics of several iconic high-end watches with the Apple Watch, with arguments aside for the appreciation of movement, construction, and value of such timepieces. These are not actual products nor do they imply any collaboration of the respective brands shown. The brands and products and their graphical elements are the property of their respective owners.
It was intriguing for me to conceptualize what it might be like if the Apple Watch aesthetically imitated several iconic luxury watches. In producing the visual I have noted a few interesting points.
- The Retina display needs to be at least 20 percent bigger for the size of the dial to be visually proportional to the case and the bracelet, in bearing the most resemblance to the original timepiece without enlarging the size of the Apple Watch’s 42mm case.
- Apple Watch complications can be integrated (albeit subtly) along the corners of circular dials, or within the watch face.
- If Apple is to offer the Apple Watch with a white bezel, the obvious downside with that is, visually the black border of the display would be much more apparent (as is on the iPhone), and the effect is much more forced with a circular white dial against a rectangular black border. This is less noticeable with rectangular dial (like with the Tank) or with the black bezel.
- In emulating rare and ultra-luxury timepieces (out of curiosity), one would require the 18-karat yellow gold or rose gold cases from the Apple Watch Edition, which seems quite an ironic contradiction.
References for the top image from left to right: Cartier Tank Anglaise, IWC Portugieser Reference 3714, Rolex Paul Newman Daytona, Panerai Radiomir Black Seal, and the Omega Speedmaster Professional.
References for the bottom image from left to right: A. Lange & Sohne Grand Complication Reference 912.032, Patek Philippe Reference 2499, and the Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Calendar Moon Phase.
1. More Apple concepts available on Flickr.
There are no comments.
Featured Posts Latest Posts